Christine Milcarek, PhD
Office: E1054 BST
Lab: E1011, E1008 BST
- B.S. - Duquesne University
- Ph.D. - Johns Hopkins University
- Postdoc - Massachusetts Institute of Technology
- Professor, Immunology
- Member, Graduate Programs in Immunology and Biochemistry and Molecular Genetics
- Chair, Committee on the Status of Women, American Association of Immunologists (2007-2009)
- Member, Committee on the Status of Women, American Association of Immunologists (2006-2009)
We are interested in understanding the regulation of heavy chain immunoglobulin (Ig) RNA processing and the development of immunological memory during B-cell development. Alterations in the homeostatic regulation of Ig secretion may result in immunodeficiency -like states while overproduction can occur in diseases like amyloidosis or myeloma. Understanding the basic mechanisms of secretory mRNA production may lead to insights for control and disease amelioration.
Ashley M Nelson, Nolan T Carew, Sage M Smith, Christine Milcarek, (2018) RNA Splicing in the Transition from B Cells to Antibody-Secreting Cells: The Influences of ELL2, Small Nuclear RNA, and Endoplasmic Reticulum Stress. J Immunol. 2018 Oct 8. pii: ji1800557. doi: 10.4049/jimmunol.1800557
S. Cascio, T.A. Medsger, W.F. Hawse, S.C. Watkins, C. Milcarek, L.W. Moreland, R.A. Lafyatis, P. Fuschiotti (2017) 14-3-3z sequesters cytosolic T-bet, up-regulating IL-13 in Tc2 and CD8+ lymphocytes from patients with scleroderma. J Allergy & Clinical Immunology Nov 15, pii: S0091-6749: 31760-8. PMID 29155097.
Ashley M. Nelson and Christine Milcarek. (2017) Transcription elongation factor ELL2 in antibody secreting cells, myeloma, and HIV infection: a full measure of activity, Current Trends in Immunology, Vol. 18, 1 – 11
Park KS, Bayles I, Szlachta-McGinn A, Paul J, Boiko J, Santos P, Liu J, Wang Z, Borghesi L, Milcarek C. Transcription Elongation Factor ELL2 Drives Ig Secretory-Specific mRNA Production and the Unfolded Protein Response. J Immunol. 2014 Sep 19. pii: 1401608. [Epub ahead of print] PMID: 25238757
Feng R, Milcarek CA, Xie XQ. Antagonism of cannabinoid receptor 2 pathway suppresses IL-6-induced immunoglobulin IgM secretion. BMC Pharmacol Toxicol. 2014 Jun 9;15:30. doi: 10.1186/2050-6511-15-30. PMID: 24913620
Smith S, Carew N, Milcarek C. RNA polymerases in plasma cells trav-ELL2 the beat of a different drum. World J Immunol 2015 November 27; 5(3): 99-112. Click here for the full text.
Nolan T. Carew, Ashley M. Nelson, Zhitao Liang, Sage M. Smith, Christine Milcarek *(2018) Linking endoplasmic reticular stress and alternative splicing. International J. Mol. Sci. 2018, 19(12), 3919; https://doi.org/10.3390/ijms19123919.
- We are studying B cell development from the mature B-cell stage to plasma and memory cells. The role of a transcription elongation factor specific for plasma cells (ELL2) is being explored by a combination of biochemistry, immunology and gene-knock-out
- Distinguished Mentor (1999) - Survival Skills and Ethics Program, University of Pittsburgh
- Woman of Distinction (2000) - Girl Scouts of Southwestern PA (Trillium Council)
- Master Educator, School of Medicine, University of Pittsburgh (2009-2014)
- National Board of Medical Examiners Step 1 Test Material Development Committee (2011-2013)